Thursday 21 August 2014

Award Winning Photographer



I still have goosebump!

For those of you who know me well, you'll know that photography is my passion.  I love everything about it.  And what some people may not know is that I have pretty much taught myself everything I know (hours and hours of practice, reading, and research).  I am proud to say that my achievements are all of my own accord, with some help from my amazing network of photographers (you know who you are!)...and that my business started out from absolutely nothing just over 3 years ago to a successful business I can call my own.

Starting your own business takes a lot of guts, especially when that business is an art form.  Not only do you have all the millions of questions about accounting, taxes, marketing, suppliers, and sales, but you also have to confront your own self confidence.  

Three and a half years ago, who said that my photos were good enough to start my own business?  No one.  Who said that I merited charging for my work?  No one.  Who said I would be a successful photographer?  No one.  I had to believe in myself.  And through many periods of self doubt (ask my husband as he was always the one that had to listen to me), I continued to progress and continued to build my client base, many of whom have come back to me over the years...and let me tell you, the biggest compliment to a photographer is a repeat client.

All of my hard work has paid off and today I can honestly say that I am an award winning photographer.  My self doubting has meant that it's taken me until June of this year to enter any of my photos into any trade association competition.  The first month, I scored well...all of my images scoring at professional standard.  I knew I could do better, so in July I entered again.  This time I'm proud to say that 5 of my images have won The Guild of Photographers' Bronze Award, images at a strong professional standard - definitely worth being proud of.

So to all of you who have supported me over these years and for all the amazing, wonderful, beautiful clients of mine, thank you, thank you for helping me to achieve my dream and for allowing me to do what I love.  <3 






No comments:

Post a Comment